Help keep McPherson parks clean and safe by adhering to the following rules and regulations established by the City of McPherson:
• Alcohol is not permitted in city parks
• Golfing is not allowed in any city park
• Metal detectors are not allowed in any city park
• No one is allowed to drive into city parks without approval
• Bouncy houses and jumpers are not allowed in any city park
When temperatures begin to drop, the City of McPherson encourages residents to stay off lakes and ponds as cold temperatures do not guarantee ice on these bodies of water are safe. It is particularly important for all to obey posted signs associated with City lakes and waterways. If anyone ventures onto the ice and experiences trouble, keep the following advice in mind:
• Always keep your pets on a leash if walking near a partially frozen waterway. If a pet falls through the ice, do not attempt to rescue the pet. Go for help.
• Reach-Throw-Go. If a companion falls through the ice and you are unable to reach the individual from the shore, throw something out to them such as a rope, jumper cables or a tree branch. If this does not work, go for help before you become a victim too. See medical assistance for the victim immediately.
• If you fall through the ice, do not panic. Turn toward the direction from which you came. Place your hands and arms on the unbroken surface and work your way forward by kicking your feet. Once out, remain lying on the ice and roll away from the hole. Crawl back to your tracks, keeping your weight distributed until you return to solid ice or ground.
• The best way to avoid trouble is to stay off ice entirely.