What is Carbon Monoxide and how does it harm you?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, odorless, colorless, poisonous gas. It is a by-product of “incomplete combustion.” When a person inhales high levels of carbon monoxide for a long period of time, it displaces the oxygen in the blood causing the heart, brain and other vital organs to be deprived of oxygen. Extended exposure to strong concentrations of carbon monoxide is life threatening. Loss of consciousness and suffocation may result without warning. Make sure your home has a carbon monoxide detector!

Show All Answers

1. Why do you send a fire truck along with an ambulance to a medical emergency?
2. Why do firefighters break out windows and cut holes in roof during a fire?
3. Why do firefighters get upset when you drive over fire hoses?
4. Why do you block traffic lanes at auto accidents, often more lanes than are necessary?
5. How do I become a firefighter?
6. Why do firefighters shop at the local grocery stores?
7. Why is it illegal to burn leaves and brush on my property?
8. What number do you call for a fire inspection?
9. How do you get a smoke detector from the McPherson Fire Department?
10. Can I plant anything around fire hydrants?
11. Can I get my blood pressure taken at the firehouse?
12. What is Carbon Monoxide and how does it harm you?
13. Does the Fire Department have a bounce house to promote fire prevention?
14. How do I report a leaking fire hydrant?
15. What is the ISO rating for the McPherson Fire Department?
16. Where can I enroll in a CPR or First Aid Class?
17. How do I get a copy of my fire report?
18. How do I schedule a fire extinguisher class for my business?
19. How big do my home address numbers need to be?