Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, odorless, colorless, poisonous gas. It is a by-product of “incomplete combustion.” When a person inhales high levels of carbon monoxide for a long period of time, it displaces the oxygen in the blood causing the heart, brain and other vital organs to be deprived of oxygen. Extended exposure to strong concentrations of carbon monoxide is life threatening. Loss of consciousness and suffocation may result without warning. Make sure your home has a carbon monoxide detector!